There are many opinions to consume avocado; some cannot resist accompanying their meals with this delicious fruit, and on the other hand, there are some others that think that its high fat content makes it an enemy for anyone who is trying to lose weight or tone their muscles. But the reality is that this vegetal fat contains many nutrients that makes avocado a food that everyone should include in their daily diet plan because it provides very good benefits to our body and today we will talk about it.
In addition to its delicious flavor, avocado contains a multitude of healthy components, such as fiber, plant sterols, magnesium, folic acid, protein, potassium and vitamins B6, E and K. Let’s see what this means to our body…
- Its fiber content helps to burn fat and keeps the muscle mass intact, preventing it from diminishing when we begin to lose weight.
- Avocado also contains a good percentage of the essential amino acids that our body needs for the development and maintenance of our muscle mass.
- Its high vitamin E content, helps to lower cholesterol, revitalize skin health and prevent certain cardiovascular diseases. This vitamin along with beta-carotene and vitamin C, also give avocado antioxidant properties for our body.
- The carotenoids of this fruit also help to improve the absorption of the nutrients from other fruits and vegetables. It has been proven that a person that eats avocado regularly assimilates nutrients up to 5 times better than an person who doesn’t. By contributing to the absorption of nutrients, we are talking about the fact that we also assimilate much better leteine and zeaxanthin, nutrients that are extremely important for the health of the eye, so they also prevent the appearance of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- The potassium of this fruit also prevents diseases related to blood pressure, fluid retention, kidney dysfunction and heart attacks. Avocado extracts can also help to relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
Now, let’s talk about about fats! Well, let me tell you that avocado is composed of 77% fat, but not any kind of fat, I’m talking about oleic acid, a super healthy monounsaturated fatty acid that also generates benefits such as:
- Reduce inflammation.
- Maintain the feeling of satiety for much longer, counteracting anxiety.
- Control your appetite.
- Lower blood cholesterol.
- Maintain normal triglyceride levels.
- Control diabetes.
However, even though we are talking about healthy fat, it is still high in calories. Usually, the recommended serving is 100gm, this portion contains approximately 160 calories, 6.7 grams of fiber and 485mg of potassium.